Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shoaib ready for Surrey stint

Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar has finally got a respite. Five months after he was banned for five years from international and domestic cricket by the Pakistan Cricket Board, he is all set to join county side Surrey to prove his fitness and find a place in the national side.

The step comes at a time when Surrey are to stave off relegation from Division One of the County Championship. Shoaib will be available for the final two matches against Hampshire and Nottinghamshire.

"My eventual aim is to play for Pakistan and I feel Surrey would offer me the best opportunity to prove my fitness. I am keen to prove myself to the selectors to get into the national side. I want to put in hard work and play the best for the next four years and concentrate on my career," the 32-year-old said.

The ‘Rawalpindi Express’ was in the city to participate in a dance reality show. He slammed the Pakistan Cricket Board and the earlier government in the country for not supporting him, handing him the ban, fine and playing politics with him. "The past two years have been really tough for me. The PCB harassed me, banned me and levied huge fine on me. Also the earlier government lend me their support," said the pacer.

Shoaib also sounded upset with the board for not being able to nurture grass-root level talent, which has resulted in a dearth of pace bowlers in Pakistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment