Thursday, January 4, 2007

every therm is sacred, the sequel*

My heating bill for December was $300, even though it was warm enough not to really need heat for the first two weeks and I was in the Midwest for the last two. I realized there was a going to be a problem when I got home from my trip and discovered I had left the heat on, albeit at a relatively low temperature (62 degrees). I realized this problem was going to be a bigger one when I discovered that the door to my screen porch had somehow blown open while I was gone, meaning I had two weeks of my radiator attempting to raise the whole of Cambridge up to 62 degrees.

A main intellectual interest of mine, stated in the abstract, is how stable psychological characteristics of people can have quite different implications depending on their surrounding social/cultural/technological environment. Let's just say that my absent-mindedness has combined with various aspects of my life in Cambridge in ways that have been very expensive.

Even so, I've ordered an elliptical trainer. Something had to be done on that front, and there is no easier step toward fitness than the exercise of one's credit card.

* Original post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment