Monday, June 30, 2008

Murali is eyeing Wasim Akram's One-Day record

Muttiah Muralitharan has broken many records in his 16-year international cricket career and the Sri Lanka's spin king now says he is eyeing former Pakistan fast bowler Wasim Akram's One-Day Internationals (ODI) record for the highest number of wickets.

The 36-year-old off-spinner is 37 wickets short of Wasim's 502 wickets and he is already the highest Test wicket-taker with 735 in 120 matches.

'I want to get past Wasim's world record in One-Day cricket and would try out for 1,000 wickets in Tests,' Muralitharan said.

'I love this game, so I want to play on but it would depend on my fitness and how I contribute to the team's performance,' he said.

And there are quite a few opportunities lined up for Muralitharan with Sri Lanka hosting India for three Tests and five One-day Internationals next month, after the ongoing Asia Cup.

Even Wasim says Muralitharan will get past his record.

'I often joke with him to retire from one-day cricket so that my record remains intact, but frankly speaking he deserved the Test record and should get my record in the time to come,' said Wasim.

No comments:

Post a Comment