Wednesday, November 8, 2006

dispatch from the city that never sleeps

When I agreed to give a talk November 8th, I didn't appreciate that it was the day after Election Day. Even then, I didn't appreciate that I would be up in the middle of the night distracted from whatever work I was doing on my talk by hitting refresh every few minutes to see if another 1% of precincts in Montana have reported their results.

I hate thinking that a nontrivial portion of my mood for the next two years is in the hands of a few thousand strangers in Montana. Nothing against Montana; indeed, I'm quite adoring of Montana right now. I do wish they were faster vote-counters.

Wasn't there a city in Montana that a San Francisco radio station convinced/paid to change its name to Joe as a tribute to quarterback Joe Montana? I wonder how Joe, Montana voted.

No comments:

Post a Comment