Thursday, June 14, 2007

the corrections

I bowled in a league one year in like sixth grade. Sometimes kids would have this thing where they wouldn't follow through straight and their ball would veer to the left every time. So their solution would be to stand farther to the right. This would just lead their ball to veer more dramatically to the left, until they'd be standing all the way on the right side, and still sometimes bowling into the left gutter. Instead, what the kid needed to be doing was move farther to the left, as then this would cause them to alter their follow-through in the right direction.

I've been surprised at how many times I've since returned to this experience as a internal personal metaphor in one situation or another. "This is just like bowling. If your ball goes left, you need to move to the left--not to the right," I think. Including a recent circumstance, but not one I can blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment