bloodycape
Sep 6, 09:21 AM
How does the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB compare to the ATI X1600? Is it faster, better, and or more reliable? I am assuming this is also underclocked?
lgutie20
Apr 2, 06:23 PM
Why such a great camera on the iphone and such loser ones on the ipad?
iPhones are actually more expensive to make than iPads. Thats why you are forced to make a contract with a carrier because when you first get your phone, the carriers are loosing money. It takes two whole months for the carriers to make back all the money they spent on an iPhone.
That is why the iPhone can be cheaper and have better specs than an iPad could ever have. That is why I believe that the iPhone is actually Apples most advanced technology!
iPhones are actually more expensive to make than iPads. Thats why you are forced to make a contract with a carrier because when you first get your phone, the carriers are loosing money. It takes two whole months for the carriers to make back all the money they spent on an iPhone.
That is why the iPhone can be cheaper and have better specs than an iPad could ever have. That is why I believe that the iPhone is actually Apples most advanced technology!
Lotso
Mar 18, 01:46 PM
Old comment:
No ****** Way
All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.

Crazy Funny logos of various

Clicking the various logos

for various companies or

These companies were

in various research and

Various logos for all manner

manufacturer logos - asahi

gone through various logo
No ****** Way
All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.

iStudentUK
Apr 7, 05:13 PM
However, I can't agree that the Bible is "neutral" or relative in that it can correctly be interpreted in any way someone chooses. The Bible is clear in it's express purpose as God's revelation of himself to mankind. The Bible is judged and interpreted against itself using the literary and textual tools of interpretation that we have available to us.
Of course not any interpretation is valid; however, the Bible is very complex and contradicts itself in places. There is no set interpretation that can said to be right, rather a spectrum that can be justified. "Clear" is not a word I would use.
Like all communication it can only be correctly interpreted in light of the intended meaning of it's original author. This is where faith comes into the process. Followers of Christ hold to the belief that it is God's inspired and inerrant word. The living God is it's author and he inspired men to write within their own historical and literary context to specific audiences at a specific time. All of these contexts become clues that help guide us to His intended meaning.
This is obviously where we part ways. For me the Bible is the product of man. Nothing more.
God's word calls us to "love one another" and to be servant leaders in bearing one another's burdens. Westboro seeks to judge, spread hate, and cause dissension. Sure they quote scripture and hide behind an illusion of faith, but they take verses out of context and aren't living out God's commands.
However, you are still using one interpretation that you have chosen. There is no way to know if you are right. I agree that WBC are at the extreme end, but the overall message of the Bible doesn't seem to be clear. Just look at the issue of homosexuality- many "normal" (you know what I mean!) Christians find homosexuality difficult to justify, whilst others have no issue with it. The Bible states many times how "wrong" homosexuality is but other passages suggest otherwise. Both interpretations seem to be possible without stretching the facts.
So whilst it may be possible to say the WBC aren't living out God's commands, it's not possible to say whether the Christian that is uncomfortable homosexuals is living out God's commands or not. I would hope God would have no issue with homosexuality, but that hope is based upon an extrinsic sense of morality.
Of course not any interpretation is valid; however, the Bible is very complex and contradicts itself in places. There is no set interpretation that can said to be right, rather a spectrum that can be justified. "Clear" is not a word I would use.
Like all communication it can only be correctly interpreted in light of the intended meaning of it's original author. This is where faith comes into the process. Followers of Christ hold to the belief that it is God's inspired and inerrant word. The living God is it's author and he inspired men to write within their own historical and literary context to specific audiences at a specific time. All of these contexts become clues that help guide us to His intended meaning.
This is obviously where we part ways. For me the Bible is the product of man. Nothing more.
God's word calls us to "love one another" and to be servant leaders in bearing one another's burdens. Westboro seeks to judge, spread hate, and cause dissension. Sure they quote scripture and hide behind an illusion of faith, but they take verses out of context and aren't living out God's commands.
However, you are still using one interpretation that you have chosen. There is no way to know if you are right. I agree that WBC are at the extreme end, but the overall message of the Bible doesn't seem to be clear. Just look at the issue of homosexuality- many "normal" (you know what I mean!) Christians find homosexuality difficult to justify, whilst others have no issue with it. The Bible states many times how "wrong" homosexuality is but other passages suggest otherwise. Both interpretations seem to be possible without stretching the facts.
So whilst it may be possible to say the WBC aren't living out God's commands, it's not possible to say whether the Christian that is uncomfortable homosexuals is living out God's commands or not. I would hope God would have no issue with homosexuality, but that hope is based upon an extrinsic sense of morality.
28monkeys
Apr 2, 04:25 AM
let's keep the competition within the boundary of software, functionality, sexiness of a device rather than complementary hardware specs.
Hisdem
Oct 25, 06:30 PM
What are the specs on that Hack G5? I'm guessing i7 CPU?
Demoman
Aug 29, 07:25 PM
I think the prices of Windows and OSX are quite the same. You can buy a new version of OSX more frequently for a lower price per each version, or buy a new version of Windows once and pay more for it but receive free updates/service packs for years. The yearly costs are quite the same.
The difference is Apple is actually providing leading edge desktop OS's. MS is fixing problems, or making minor improvements under duress. For example, my company was using Windows 2000, finally free of many of the real time consuming IT support nightmares due to using NT 4.0. I actually thought 2K was fairly decent. Then XP came out. We did a couple test installs. Yuk!
Systems resource usage went way up. We could not effectively run anything with less than 1GB, and that was not a common configuration back then. We had many HP PIII 550/600 Pavilions. Their performance was noticeably impacted by XP. What was worse, I did not really notice any obvious feature improvements. Then the XP SP1 horror stories began to filter in. Bottom line, we did not do any migration to XP until SP2 came out, and only did it with new computer purchases.
The timeframe for this short dissertation is approximately 6 years. I have not actually upgraded a single OS. MS has not offered an OS upgrade that was compelling enough to invest in. On the other hand, I cannot wait to buy the latest offering from Apple. The price for their innovation is cheap and I always think it was money well spent. Both MS and Apple do R&D, but it is somewhat different.
Apple - Research & Development
MS - Receive & Deposit
The difference is Apple is actually providing leading edge desktop OS's. MS is fixing problems, or making minor improvements under duress. For example, my company was using Windows 2000, finally free of many of the real time consuming IT support nightmares due to using NT 4.0. I actually thought 2K was fairly decent. Then XP came out. We did a couple test installs. Yuk!
Systems resource usage went way up. We could not effectively run anything with less than 1GB, and that was not a common configuration back then. We had many HP PIII 550/600 Pavilions. Their performance was noticeably impacted by XP. What was worse, I did not really notice any obvious feature improvements. Then the XP SP1 horror stories began to filter in. Bottom line, we did not do any migration to XP until SP2 came out, and only did it with new computer purchases.
The timeframe for this short dissertation is approximately 6 years. I have not actually upgraded a single OS. MS has not offered an OS upgrade that was compelling enough to invest in. On the other hand, I cannot wait to buy the latest offering from Apple. The price for their innovation is cheap and I always think it was money well spent. Both MS and Apple do R&D, but it is somewhat different.
Apple - Research & Development
MS - Receive & Deposit
Keleko
Mar 8, 09:22 AM
Continuing the dinosaur series I share the Laposaurus today. :)
Okay, I posted this just to balance out the dog photo. ;)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5507843060_0548050887_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22077805@N07/5507843060/#/)
Okay, I posted this just to balance out the dog photo. ;)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5507843060_0548050887_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22077805@N07/5507843060/#/)
ArchaicRevival
Apr 12, 12:04 PM
Your post meets the definition of ignorance. :rolleyes:
I thought it met the definition of sarcasm. :rolleyes:
I thought it met the definition of sarcasm. :rolleyes:
SFStateStudent
Apr 12, 12:07 PM
So Apple might pass some of the SAVINGS on to their "CUSTOMERS" sometime soon? :D
Nipsy
Oct 13, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
Nipsy, while I know you are simply trying to defend your viewpoint (as we all should), you have a very simplistic view of a computers role in society. This is a tragic flaw with all Mac users. Running a piece of software in "emulation" is a poor example of compatibility. It's like having to buy an external drive for your portable computer. It's cumbersome, hardly ideal, and defeats the purpose.
Admittedly, running in emulation is slow and cumbersome, but the simple fact is that we can, and PC users can't. Just one of those things to counter the 'Windows can do so much more' argument.
I don't believe that argument, but hey, my Mac can run Windows (acceptably), so it is not a point of contention any more.
For most tasks, we have native software, but for the very rare occasion when something can not be done natively, it can still be done.
The problem with Apple simple. They have no enterprise strategy. They have no muscle to get developers to begin including Macs in custom software solutions, database integration, and web-services compatibility. Apple is totally missing the point, and doesn't understand the place of the computer in business and (this is the sad one) education.
Ummmm....developers? Developers are flocking to OSX, because it gives a good UNIX environment, with a good user experience. I see more geeks at more non-Mac conventions with iBooks and TiBooks every time I go.
Databases...you haven't been paying attention! Sybase, Oracle 9i, MySQL, PostGreSQL, which db were you looking for?
http://developer.apple.com/server/
Web services...my machine is running Tomcat, apache, php/mysql, and Webobjects servers. ASP is available for UNIX, which means an apache module could prolly be compiled for Mac. Which services did you want? .net? passport?
Businesses...businesses are slow to change, but I have seen increased interest in Apple (since OSX) for the first time in a decade.
So, Apple has the Xserve, right? Huge dismal failure for them. They are giving hardware to Universities, but they're not leveraging their weight to get software and datablase companies on board to write enterprise-wide server-based applications. A good example: some universities are in the process of migrating all their research to secure server farms, and interconnecting them nationwide to increase the pool of information available to researchers. This means that different applications, different file types, and different methods of gathering that information (such as a custom-written piece of software that, say, reads indentity cards or thumb-print records) need to become recognizeable, retrieveable, and editable from any location. Or what if libraries wanted to interconnect, trade data, and allow data to be submitted by individual users (such as a publication written by an independent party).
Xserve adoption will be slow, and the product needs to be excellent to gain share. Thankfully, I, and many many reviewers, think it is.
However, your argument about data migration is silly, as data is accessed through a pipe (odbc, jdbc, etc.) and Mac OSX has a nice set of pipes. You can put a GUI on a pipe and call it an app, but all it does it form a query which gets fed to a stored proc and echo the data.
It can be done now via the command line, which means easily via an app. With data, the 'server based app' is a collection of stored procs, and the client (a browser, Sherlock, a custom client, etc.) makes it pretty.
Furthermore, the developers I mention above, are making sure we get many good browsers, and the browser will be the path to data (hell, it already is).
These are great examples of how the world is becoming more interdependent, and the personal computer is becoming merely a gateway to more information, applications and services.
Affirms my point above...

a different vibe in 2008.

logos and companies#39; logos

Various logos for Ecoline

Dynamic logos and Company

And after all, isn#39;t he

nasdaq company logos

Various Companies

for various companies.
Nipsy, while I know you are simply trying to defend your viewpoint (as we all should), you have a very simplistic view of a computers role in society. This is a tragic flaw with all Mac users. Running a piece of software in "emulation" is a poor example of compatibility. It's like having to buy an external drive for your portable computer. It's cumbersome, hardly ideal, and defeats the purpose.
Admittedly, running in emulation is slow and cumbersome, but the simple fact is that we can, and PC users can't. Just one of those things to counter the 'Windows can do so much more' argument.
I don't believe that argument, but hey, my Mac can run Windows (acceptably), so it is not a point of contention any more.
For most tasks, we have native software, but for the very rare occasion when something can not be done natively, it can still be done.
The problem with Apple simple. They have no enterprise strategy. They have no muscle to get developers to begin including Macs in custom software solutions, database integration, and web-services compatibility. Apple is totally missing the point, and doesn't understand the place of the computer in business and (this is the sad one) education.
Ummmm....developers? Developers are flocking to OSX, because it gives a good UNIX environment, with a good user experience. I see more geeks at more non-Mac conventions with iBooks and TiBooks every time I go.
Databases...you haven't been paying attention! Sybase, Oracle 9i, MySQL, PostGreSQL, which db were you looking for?
http://developer.apple.com/server/
Web services...my machine is running Tomcat, apache, php/mysql, and Webobjects servers. ASP is available for UNIX, which means an apache module could prolly be compiled for Mac. Which services did you want? .net? passport?
Businesses...businesses are slow to change, but I have seen increased interest in Apple (since OSX) for the first time in a decade.
So, Apple has the Xserve, right? Huge dismal failure for them. They are giving hardware to Universities, but they're not leveraging their weight to get software and datablase companies on board to write enterprise-wide server-based applications. A good example: some universities are in the process of migrating all their research to secure server farms, and interconnecting them nationwide to increase the pool of information available to researchers. This means that different applications, different file types, and different methods of gathering that information (such as a custom-written piece of software that, say, reads indentity cards or thumb-print records) need to become recognizeable, retrieveable, and editable from any location. Or what if libraries wanted to interconnect, trade data, and allow data to be submitted by individual users (such as a publication written by an independent party).
Xserve adoption will be slow, and the product needs to be excellent to gain share. Thankfully, I, and many many reviewers, think it is.
However, your argument about data migration is silly, as data is accessed through a pipe (odbc, jdbc, etc.) and Mac OSX has a nice set of pipes. You can put a GUI on a pipe and call it an app, but all it does it form a query which gets fed to a stored proc and echo the data.
It can be done now via the command line, which means easily via an app. With data, the 'server based app' is a collection of stored procs, and the client (a browser, Sherlock, a custom client, etc.) makes it pretty.
Furthermore, the developers I mention above, are making sure we get many good browsers, and the browser will be the path to data (hell, it already is).
These are great examples of how the world is becoming more interdependent, and the personal computer is becoming merely a gateway to more information, applications and services.
Affirms my point above...
Chris Bangle
Sep 7, 10:23 AM
Ok, so its going to be called imovie. So we're gonna have 2 imovies, how confusing., will it be a seperate software or will it built into itunes, personally i think that itunes should be music only, then programs and films and vodcasts in a separate application called imovie, Itunes is too clogged up.
iStudentUK
Mar 18, 01:38 PM
I do think it is time to put the classic to rest. It was great in its day, but looks out of date now.
born4sky
Mar 28, 04:27 PM
Just called couple of radioshacks and 9/10 confirmed that they are in fact going to have them tomorrow. The stock is very limited though .. 1-3 pieces.
should I try my luck tomorrow? instead of waiting till April 26...
should I try my luck tomorrow? instead of waiting till April 26...
6-0 Prolene
Mar 13, 08:49 AM
well i dont think mbp and ipads have the same market.. and anyway i would never buy an ipad until i see it in a shop and i can try it..i don tthink they r goign to sell that many ipads now but well who knows
hopefully next tuesday
Are you kidding? They're already running out of the pre-orders. Demand is clearly outstripping supply for the iPads and they're not even released yet.
I do think, though, that releasing some new MBPs and MPs would be a nice way to assuage the disgruntled pre-orderers of the iPad when they get told they can't pre-order.
hopefully next tuesday
Are you kidding? They're already running out of the pre-orders. Demand is clearly outstripping supply for the iPads and they're not even released yet.
I do think, though, that releasing some new MBPs and MPs would be a nice way to assuage the disgruntled pre-orderers of the iPad when they get told they can't pre-order.
iphonedev11
Feb 15, 03:07 PM
I can't imagine that apple is too concerned with this. If a developer has problems, they can take their business elsewhere as far as Apple is concerned. They have definitely always been our way or the high way, which can be good and bad.
PowerGamerX
Oct 12, 01:45 PM
Somebody needs to clean their screen. Why'd you buy a Magic TrackPad? Do you like it? Is it really that much better than using a regular one or using a standard mouse?
ozone1
Mar 25, 04:08 PM
I just downloaded the update, it told me something failed and I need to restore my iPhone. I am on try 3 and it is still failing every time it tries to restore. It's giving me error code 1013. I would stay away from this update for at least a day or two until others give feedback. It doesn't seem to be that critical of an update anyways.
Schtumple
Mar 1, 05:07 AM
Red Stop Button
IJ Reilly
Aug 29, 11:30 AM
The only time a full version is needed is when a new computer is purchased and then the price for Vista is completely different because of the OEM pricing by the vendor.
Not so much "different" as hidden from the ultimate consumer.
I think you're also forgetting that the current version of OSX is included with every Mac.
Not so much "different" as hidden from the ultimate consumer.
I think you're also forgetting that the current version of OSX is included with every Mac.
levitynyc
Mar 12, 11:34 AM
What happened to it?
The palm rest (which has already been replaced once) is chipping up from the corner. Its also lifting up from the left side next to the CAPS LOCK button. A few keys (shift and the arrows) are getting mushy. The screen bezel is coming off from the right side. The top of it is chipping off as well.
There are also hairline cracks where the heat is released. Finally the bottom of the thing is heat discolored very dark.
My wife has a new unibody Macbook and the build construction is so much better than my old whitebook.
The palm rest (which has already been replaced once) is chipping up from the corner. Its also lifting up from the left side next to the CAPS LOCK button. A few keys (shift and the arrows) are getting mushy. The screen bezel is coming off from the right side. The top of it is chipping off as well.
There are also hairline cracks where the heat is released. Finally the bottom of the thing is heat discolored very dark.
My wife has a new unibody Macbook and the build construction is so much better than my old whitebook.
Blue Velvet
Aug 29, 11:13 AM
Like the commercial says, Macs are good for fun stuff, but PCs are for working.
I shall (briefly) ponder the wisdom of your words when I'm putting in a 10-hour day tomorrow on the Mac.
I shall (briefly) ponder the wisdom of your words when I'm putting in a 10-hour day tomorrow on the Mac.
Plecky
Sep 4, 02:17 PM
Guys.. and I know this is a stretch. Remember the big uproar Jason O'Grady started with his fake stories of LCD screens from Apple around the NAB timeframe if memory serves. I suspect it was a typical O'Grady tactic to drive eyes to his site.. however if you think about it.. the 23" iMac with improved Front Row and VESA mount, could serve as this type of thing on a smaller scale obviously. It will not compete with my Mac Mini via DVI to a 50" DLP.. that just rocks.:D
Has anyone suggested that the 23" iMac could be that long awaited "30th Anniversary Mac." Unless of course they're waiting on releasing a mini-tower with Conroe and dub that the "Mac" making a return for their 30th anniversary year. One or the other, I wouldn't be suprise if they bring back some of that 30th anniversary year fanfare for the release of one of those two. A 23" iMac would definitely be claim worthy of the name, especially if they could squeeze a conroe in it and put it in cinema display aluminum enclosures. Oh well, just me dreaming I guess. Oh, and a sub-$2000 price point wouldn't hurt either! I do want to see conroe inside some mac before this time next year though...
Has anyone suggested that the 23" iMac could be that long awaited "30th Anniversary Mac." Unless of course they're waiting on releasing a mini-tower with Conroe and dub that the "Mac" making a return for their 30th anniversary year. One or the other, I wouldn't be suprise if they bring back some of that 30th anniversary year fanfare for the release of one of those two. A 23" iMac would definitely be claim worthy of the name, especially if they could squeeze a conroe in it and put it in cinema display aluminum enclosures. Oh well, just me dreaming I guess. Oh, and a sub-$2000 price point wouldn't hurt either! I do want to see conroe inside some mac before this time next year though...
iMattcotv
Apr 1, 11:59 PM
Typical that Sony of all companies would leak this out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment