gnasher729
Apr 16, 07:07 PM
Your statement makes no since. Windows is a hardware dependent OS. If you have the hardware it will run. Buying a 400 dollar Hp is different then running it on a 800 ASUS. You are use to using low grade windows computers. I use Both macs and Highgrade windows based PCs (ASUS & Sony) I see no issues with any of them. Some one game me an HP and it was a piece of ****. I am using an ASUS board right now and I am in LOVE with it.
1. My statement made perfect sense. Apple builds excellent hardware that competes very well with other expensive hardware, the build quality is better than what anyone else produces, and Apple's Macintosh computers often have unique design that you cannot find elsewhere. Anybody who needs to run Windows and is willing to pay for top quality hardware is well advised to consider buying a Macintosh.
2. You are in LOVE with an ASUS board? I'm in love with my wife. If my MacBook was stolen or damaged I wouldn't shed one tear; I would just wait for the insurance money and buy a new one. You seem to have a strange irrational emotional attachment here.
1. My statement made perfect sense. Apple builds excellent hardware that competes very well with other expensive hardware, the build quality is better than what anyone else produces, and Apple's Macintosh computers often have unique design that you cannot find elsewhere. Anybody who needs to run Windows and is willing to pay for top quality hardware is well advised to consider buying a Macintosh.
2. You are in LOVE with an ASUS board? I'm in love with my wife. If my MacBook was stolen or damaged I wouldn't shed one tear; I would just wait for the insurance money and buy a new one. You seem to have a strange irrational emotional attachment here.
Quilentro
Aug 24, 03:34 PM
I switched to apple so I wouldn't have problems with customer support. This is ridiculous. The website is completely screwed up (Apple admits this) because of the hits from the battery issue. And the worst part is, the battery isn't my problem.
Sure, I have a defective macbook pro battery, but when I sent it in for repair on the 4th, it was for dark spots on the screen and some other random issues. They told me it would be fixed in a couple days. It's been gone for weeks, and after talking to people on the phone for hours, they finally told me that they weren't sure what was going on, but that they think it's fixed, and that it is just being tested (even though the site, when it was working days ago, said it had been repaired and was pending shipping on the 19th.) But they can't tell me when it will be back, and that it might take another week. I'm moving in a matter of days, and was told this should be a quick fix. This is really, really obnoxious. And all they can say is "sorry." At what point do they offer me a concession? At what point can the consumer say forget it, this computer is only a couple months old, give me a brand new one off the store floor. Ridiculous. I have more complaints, back my extreme irritation at the situation prevents me from launching a cogent argument.
I sincerely hope everyone else is having a much better experience than I/
- Quil
Sure, I have a defective macbook pro battery, but when I sent it in for repair on the 4th, it was for dark spots on the screen and some other random issues. They told me it would be fixed in a couple days. It's been gone for weeks, and after talking to people on the phone for hours, they finally told me that they weren't sure what was going on, but that they think it's fixed, and that it is just being tested (even though the site, when it was working days ago, said it had been repaired and was pending shipping on the 19th.) But they can't tell me when it will be back, and that it might take another week. I'm moving in a matter of days, and was told this should be a quick fix. This is really, really obnoxious. And all they can say is "sorry." At what point do they offer me a concession? At what point can the consumer say forget it, this computer is only a couple months old, give me a brand new one off the store floor. Ridiculous. I have more complaints, back my extreme irritation at the situation prevents me from launching a cogent argument.
I sincerely hope everyone else is having a much better experience than I/
- Quil
Ugg
Apr 26, 10:29 AM
Another thing, gun ownership in the UK is very rare. So the fact that gangs which unfortunately have a make up (proportionally in London) of Black, Turkish, Kurdish and White boys means that gang members are more likely to be carrying weapons than other members of the population.
Exactly. The article totally fails to include any information about the "gun" crimes other than the color of the skin of the person arrested. It's garbage journalism.
Britain is very class based, and is probably racist too. Black people here are generally poor and don't do particularly well at school as well.
There's no such thing as a non-racist society, only those that are more tolerant than others. Also, a person's skin color on its own isn't a very good indicator of anything. A person's socio-economic and recent immigration status probably is.
Exactly. The article totally fails to include any information about the "gun" crimes other than the color of the skin of the person arrested. It's garbage journalism.
Britain is very class based, and is probably racist too. Black people here are generally poor and don't do particularly well at school as well.
There's no such thing as a non-racist society, only those that are more tolerant than others. Also, a person's skin color on its own isn't a very good indicator of anything. A person's socio-economic and recent immigration status probably is.
TheSVD
Mar 10, 06:55 AM
Here's one more. Having grown up there, I'm quite familiar with the place as well. I should see it as a challenge but the familiarity makes it a difficult place for me to photograph.
http://blog.darinrogers.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MG_9072.jpg (http://blog.darinrogers.net/blog/)
thats really, really good.. the black and white really suits it and the reflection in the water looks great too! beautiful image man :)
mine for today.. a bit of 'no real subject' photo, but i like the lines of the photo.. the fence & stairs leading up :)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5500196540_f8b9e8df77_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/svdphotography/5500196540/)
Stairs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/svdphotography/5500196540/) by TheSVD (http://www.flickr.com/people/svdphotography/), on Flickr
http://blog.darinrogers.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MG_9072.jpg (http://blog.darinrogers.net/blog/)
thats really, really good.. the black and white really suits it and the reflection in the water looks great too! beautiful image man :)
mine for today.. a bit of 'no real subject' photo, but i like the lines of the photo.. the fence & stairs leading up :)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5500196540_f8b9e8df77_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/svdphotography/5500196540/)
Stairs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/svdphotography/5500196540/) by TheSVD (http://www.flickr.com/people/svdphotography/), on Flickr
dunc85
Sep 12, 05:25 PM
Holy moley, you mean it starts downloading cover art without asking or letting you turn that off? I don't want cover art, and I sure as heck don't want to use up bandwidth on my connection for cover art downloads, much less send out reports on what I care to keep in my playlists.
No, you turn it on in Preferences.
No, you turn it on in Preferences.
vendettabass
Nov 8, 09:31 AM
what better way to find out about the C2D macbooks, than to find out instore! and actually inform the staff that they've been updated!! they didn't know apparently! well.. so they said, but yeah! was a nice suprise!
TEG
May 5, 12:01 AM
I don't want OTA updates, especially if it uses your data allocation. I can see it being an option, but definitely I want to be able to opt-in to. I much prefer using iTunes, it just seems to make everything consistent.
TEG
TEG
vniow
Oct 11, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
But we (rumor-heads) are the few, and PC marketing no longer seems to focus on speed. And I believe that Apple is slowly turing more heads out there.
I think that's true.
Look at the latest ads for Intel, no Ghz is mentioned at all, it focuses on multimedia stuff.
I think Apple had at least some part in that mindset.
They're slowy moving away from Ghz, but still, to do major multimedia stuff, you need speed.
But we (rumor-heads) are the few, and PC marketing no longer seems to focus on speed. And I believe that Apple is slowly turing more heads out there.
I think that's true.
Look at the latest ads for Intel, no Ghz is mentioned at all, it focuses on multimedia stuff.
I think Apple had at least some part in that mindset.
They're slowy moving away from Ghz, but still, to do major multimedia stuff, you need speed.
playaj82
Aug 8, 11:48 AM
I understand your point. I do, however, feel that Apple has more of the platform's long-term best interests at heart, versus the developers delay of a UI for 5 months.
If we're to assume the "Top Secret to prevent photocopying" theory, then these next 5 months are more crucial to Apple's development than the platform developers. Come January, Apple might spill all the details of the (currently speculative) Finder, and developers have from then until release date to incorporate it. Sure, it's a delay of 5 months, but think big-picture. If Apple's secretiveness prevents Vista from incorporating Leopard UI traits, it's worth the wait to make Leopard appear further ahead.*
*We all know this is a rumor site, but the above is purely speculation on my part.
I guess I'm just not seeing the point in keeping stuff secret.
I understand that Apple uses the photocopy thing as a joke, but in all reality, it isn't like Microsoft is stealing lines of code. The features that Apple has included are not necessarily original. They are just original as being "incorporated" in the OS.
Big picture, they should have spilled it all. The reaction to Leopard has already been rather blah. And so what if Microsoft steals one or two "top secret" features.
Time Machine - nothing new conceptually, just graphically improved
Spaces - A blatant rip of "Virtue" for OS X
Mail Improvements - I already have plugins that do most of that
iChat - About 1000 people have already pointed out a been there, done that for iChat
All of Apple's supposed "new" features are not as new as they seem.
I like what they are doing with the stuff, but right now they need to save their *** and give away some "secret" features before people stop caring.
If we're to assume the "Top Secret to prevent photocopying" theory, then these next 5 months are more crucial to Apple's development than the platform developers. Come January, Apple might spill all the details of the (currently speculative) Finder, and developers have from then until release date to incorporate it. Sure, it's a delay of 5 months, but think big-picture. If Apple's secretiveness prevents Vista from incorporating Leopard UI traits, it's worth the wait to make Leopard appear further ahead.*
*We all know this is a rumor site, but the above is purely speculation on my part.
I guess I'm just not seeing the point in keeping stuff secret.
I understand that Apple uses the photocopy thing as a joke, but in all reality, it isn't like Microsoft is stealing lines of code. The features that Apple has included are not necessarily original. They are just original as being "incorporated" in the OS.
Big picture, they should have spilled it all. The reaction to Leopard has already been rather blah. And so what if Microsoft steals one or two "top secret" features.
Time Machine - nothing new conceptually, just graphically improved
Spaces - A blatant rip of "Virtue" for OS X
Mail Improvements - I already have plugins that do most of that
iChat - About 1000 people have already pointed out a been there, done that for iChat
All of Apple's supposed "new" features are not as new as they seem.
I like what they are doing with the stuff, but right now they need to save their *** and give away some "secret" features before people stop caring.
liavman
Mar 28, 09:21 PM
Go read their SEC filings.
They make money selling hardware.
An operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs co-exist peacefully on the same system. However, Apple does not generate much revenue from software sales. If they did, it would be a separate line item in their financials and they would probably need to disclose more information about software sales, since such a large part of the increase in shareholder value would be dependent on it.
Same deal with iTunes Store sales, App Store revenue, MobileMe subscriptions, etc. Not a major part of their bottom line. Apple uses software and content to drive sales of their high-margin hardware.
While what you say is definitely true, context matters! WWDC is not for hardware developers but is predominantly for software developers. If it is not a software company, why would so many software developers throng to their conference? Calling it a software company in this context does not take anything away from it being a hardware company, the way you describe it.
They make money selling hardware.
An operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs co-exist peacefully on the same system. However, Apple does not generate much revenue from software sales. If they did, it would be a separate line item in their financials and they would probably need to disclose more information about software sales, since such a large part of the increase in shareholder value would be dependent on it.
Same deal with iTunes Store sales, App Store revenue, MobileMe subscriptions, etc. Not a major part of their bottom line. Apple uses software and content to drive sales of their high-margin hardware.
While what you say is definitely true, context matters! WWDC is not for hardware developers but is predominantly for software developers. If it is not a software company, why would so many software developers throng to their conference? Calling it a software company in this context does not take anything away from it being a hardware company, the way you describe it.
hazza.jockel
Oct 9, 01:10 PM
It would have been good to see Master Chief...
Master Chief is in the game. You just have to know where to look ;)
Master Chief is in the game. You just have to know where to look ;)
Thex1138
Mar 12, 07:30 AM
Can't see why they'd bring all the stores down.
....
:D
....
:D
magid
Aug 4, 12:47 AM
Oh ya... he's something cheesie... this has been on my mind for a while. In january, Steve demoed GarageBand and showed how to make PodCast. He did that fake podcast and said 'Hi this is steve, and this is my Super secret apple PodCast' then he proceded to make jokes about the next iPod... he said the next iPod coming out would have a 10 inch screen and weigh 8 pounds.
Well... Tuesday is 8/10
Remember 2 years ago when Jobs demoed Spotlight... he searched for 'Paris' then searched for iMac. Sure enough... the iMac G5 was released at Paris.
I just thought that was interesting.
Well according to your logic wouldnt the new iPod be out on 10/8 not 8/10?
Well... Tuesday is 8/10
Remember 2 years ago when Jobs demoed Spotlight... he searched for 'Paris' then searched for iMac. Sure enough... the iMac G5 was released at Paris.
I just thought that was interesting.
Well according to your logic wouldnt the new iPod be out on 10/8 not 8/10?
Derekasaurus
Aug 8, 02:24 PM
My bet is on Macbook pro update. with merom processor. maybe even a new form.
Jobs was referring to third-party software announcements. He would have mentioned something big like an MBP update in the keynote.
Jobs was referring to third-party software announcements. He would have mentioned something big like an MBP update in the keynote.
FrankPaolino
Mar 23, 05:22 PM
I have shared this with some friends, and re-blogged it with attribution at:
http://blog.maysoft.org/blog.nsf/d6plinks/FPAO-8F8TZM
I wonder how many other people will try this if they have "buyers remorse" and return an iPad?
Cool gesture on Apple's part.
http://blog.maysoft.org/blog.nsf/d6plinks/FPAO-8F8TZM
I wonder how many other people will try this if they have "buyers remorse" and return an iPad?
Cool gesture on Apple's part.
Barbs
Jan 4, 01:13 PM
LOL
http://joehewitt.com/post/innocent-until-proven-guilty/
That was posted by Joe Hewitt almost 5 months ago. Was it before or after he said he was no longer writing code for the facebook iphone app?
http://joehewitt.com/post/innocent-until-proven-guilty/
That was posted by Joe Hewitt almost 5 months ago. Was it before or after he said he was no longer writing code for the facebook iphone app?
hazza.jockel
Nov 2, 09:10 PM
Didn't read through the whole thread so i'm not sure if this had been mentioned but there was a story on the TWIT the other day about a CEO who bought an iphone and tried to view his company's website but he couldn't because it was flash based. He then made his IT department completely re-write the website so that he could view it on his iphone.
I assume as the iphone becomes a more business orientated mobile more website may move away from flash.
IMO though I rarely go to a site where i need flash so i don't really care if it come to the iphone or not.
I assume as the iphone becomes a more business orientated mobile more website may move away from flash.
IMO though I rarely go to a site where i need flash so i don't really care if it come to the iphone or not.
rigoni
Nov 27, 11:06 AM
What about a yellow Ipod?
ablatt
Oct 27, 08:17 AM
Well I'm not a MAC expert by any means but here's a thought.
I've built many PCs and none of the heatsinks that ship from AMD or Intel have had heat sensors or wires on them. The only wires are for monitoring the RPM of the fan which is attached to the top of the heatsink.
The CPU has its own temperature monitoring and doesn't depend on the heatsink.
Maybe the thermal sensors on the heatsink are not needed completely or at all? The initial solution, before new firmware was available, was to simply replace the heatsink, but now they can safely ignore the short?
I've built many PCs and none of the heatsinks that ship from AMD or Intel have had heat sensors or wires on them. The only wires are for monitoring the RPM of the fan which is attached to the top of the heatsink.
The CPU has its own temperature monitoring and doesn't depend on the heatsink.
Maybe the thermal sensors on the heatsink are not needed completely or at all? The initial solution, before new firmware was available, was to simply replace the heatsink, but now they can safely ignore the short?
knightlie
Nov 4, 07:26 AM
Don't just blame Adobe...blame apple too. It's a code/OS issue. It's works perfectly on PCs.
Ahh, the armchair programmers are out again. Exactly what is a "code/OS issue"?
Apple is not responsible for Adobes crappy code. The fact that it "works perfectly" on PCs is completely irrelevant. I can write a program that works well on Windows and a program that works crappy on OSX - how is that Apples fault?
Why is Apple blocking Flash? This is one for the FCC! Same reason that Microsoft used to block Netscape. Apple wants websites to use Apple software and not Flash. FAIL! It's a violation of free markets! Here comes a Netscape-Microsoft lawsuit in the Supreme Court, except this time with Flash-Apple.
Actually, Apple wants websites to use open standards such as HTML, which is not Apples software. Flash is proprietary and is certainly not a free market. You should cut down on the caffeine.
Ahh, the armchair programmers are out again. Exactly what is a "code/OS issue"?
Apple is not responsible for Adobes crappy code. The fact that it "works perfectly" on PCs is completely irrelevant. I can write a program that works well on Windows and a program that works crappy on OSX - how is that Apples fault?
Why is Apple blocking Flash? This is one for the FCC! Same reason that Microsoft used to block Netscape. Apple wants websites to use Apple software and not Flash. FAIL! It's a violation of free markets! Here comes a Netscape-Microsoft lawsuit in the Supreme Court, except this time with Flash-Apple.
Actually, Apple wants websites to use open standards such as HTML, which is not Apples software. Flash is proprietary and is certainly not a free market. You should cut down on the caffeine.
e28
Jan 11, 04:59 PM
Center stage, there will be a Tesla coil and Steve will announce they are going into the utility industry - supplying wireless electricity to the masses.
mikes63737
Nov 2, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that Flash wouldn't even work on an iPhone. It uses 100% CPU on my MBP and video still lags!
This is probably the reason that Apple doesn't even want to let Adobe make Flash, because they know they would fsck it up somehow.
And, since iPhones overheat, CPU usage at 100% for any length of time could cause the battery to explode!
This is probably the reason that Apple doesn't even want to let Adobe make Flash, because they know they would fsck it up somehow.
And, since iPhones overheat, CPU usage at 100% for any length of time could cause the battery to explode!
Dagless
Apr 10, 06:15 AM
I am shopping for a phone as my contract is up and I am considering iPhone 4 or waiting for the iPhone 5 and I'm also considering waiting for the new Nokia's so I'm looking at this with some interest.
What concerns me with the iPhone camera's isn't the optics and the sensors, it's the horrible post-processing that's automatically done to make their (iPhone) pictures 'seem' better, as in the colour saturation. It makes images seem unreal. (Try taking a picture in Grey Manchester) and you'll see how unrealistic the images look.
Can this be turned off? If not, then the 5 -> 8mp nor if they bump up to Karl Zeiss optics won't have any affect as they are still taking unrealistic representations.
I took some around Christmas time with all the lights on, and it actually suits it. But yeah I do hope they give us the option to remove the gloss. I guess that will go hand in hand with using better optics if they're serious about making a good phone camera.
What concerns me with the iPhone camera's isn't the optics and the sensors, it's the horrible post-processing that's automatically done to make their (iPhone) pictures 'seem' better, as in the colour saturation. It makes images seem unreal. (Try taking a picture in Grey Manchester) and you'll see how unrealistic the images look.
Can this be turned off? If not, then the 5 -> 8mp nor if they bump up to Karl Zeiss optics won't have any affect as they are still taking unrealistic representations.
I took some around Christmas time with all the lights on, and it actually suits it. But yeah I do hope they give us the option to remove the gloss. I guess that will go hand in hand with using better optics if they're serious about making a good phone camera.
joeboy_45101
Aug 3, 04:47 PM
Hmmm...... If you look closely at the banner photo you'll see the "64-bit" logo is awfully close to the photo of the iMac. The current Intel iMacs are not 64-bit since the Core Duo (1) processers are 32-bit. Could this mean that the iMacs are going to get the new Core Duo 2 processers, which just happen to be 64-bit.
Same goes for the MacBook Pros
Same goes for the MacBook Pros
No comments:
Post a Comment